One of the challenges of business organizations is dealing with rude customers. Rudeness is synonymous to being sarcastic and nasty. It is a negative behavior that may spark up a heated argument or a hurtful exchange of words.
In a customer service industry, any business organization will have to deal with rude customers. Such type of customers can never be avoided in any customer interaction. For one, individuals come in various personalities. There are those who tend to be rude or ill-mannered in nature. That is just how they are, even if people despise them for being like that. However, some people become rude as a natural response or reaction to an offensive situation or person. Many other reasons and factors trigger customers to become rude when dealing with company representatives. In worse cases, they can even turn out to be difficult—people who seem to be harder to please and more difficult to handle than pacifying an angry customer.
Rude customers can be dealt with using helpful tips and techniques. Since they are still considered customers, the best thing that a company representative can do is to manage them and their behavior.
What Triggers Customers to Become Rude?
If a customer starts out as nice and pleasant in the interaction and suddenly becomes rude or sarcastic, there must be some triggers that caused the customer for the sudden change of behavior. Here are some factors:
- Customer service representative is unfriendly, unhelpful, or unprofessional
- Customer does not get sensible answers or information
- Indifferent behavior of the company representative
- Unwillingness to assist a customer
Then again, there are some customers who just want to make a person’s day difficult so they intentionally show rudeness during the interaction.
Having the proper mindset is the first step that customer service representatives must do in working with customers with rude and nasty behaviors. This can be a bit of a challenge considering that it is a natural human stimulus to fight back or react when being offended. Also, it is not easy to try to be nice to rude people. Yet, in a corporate setting where customers need to be properly treated, employees must project a professional image regardless of a nasty customer interaction or a nasty situation. The proper mindset is to remember not to take the situation on a personal level.
Tips to Maintain Professionalism:
- Never allow the tone of voice to escalate as if to give a hint of wanting to argue. This will only trigger the customer to become even more sarcastic and difficult.
- It is never wise to get even with a rude customer and become rude as well. It is not a win-win situation for the business as it is always the representatives who should adjust to the customer.
- It is also not good to use threatening words to warn the customer about the rude behavior. Unless the customer starts shouting and cursing on a personal level, then they should be warned courteously for such behavior.
- In a face-to-face interaction, always play safe with the use of facial expressions and other non-verbal cues.
- Emotional leakage is never helpful. Always learn to compose oneself during a nasty interaction.
It can be downright irritating and even frustrating to deal with rude and difficult customers. They can simply ruin a good day or mood. But every business should take it as a challenge to grow and become even better in delivering service. More often than not, it is with the angry, disappointed, rude, and challenging customers that a business learns and strives to become even better.
It was mentioned earlier that professionalism must be displayed and maintained when faced with a nasty customer. Keeping control of personal anger and annoyance toward them is never easy. So, customer service representatives and employees must learn how to diffuse their anger toward the person and the situation after the interaction, of course. People have various ways to vent out negative feelings. Some just simply talk it out with their colleagues and then afterwards they are fine. Others simply forget about it while there are those who take it out on food, good music, smoking, and a smile.