The impact of negative thinking on an individual can transform his life in a way he would not ideally want it to be. Thoughts are very random and varied. If the mind is dominated by intrusive thoughts, it affects your totality as a person. It impacts the entire well-being be it physically, mentally, or emotionally. It also adversely transforms your individual perceptions in life and turns you into a pessimist.
The way you develop or damage your personal outlook solely depends on how you deal with it. One essential element to consider is your manner of thinking. Filling your mind with positive thoughts enhances the way you see your life and how you view your future. Allowing negative thoughts to dominate the mind only decreases your positive perception about life and even the way you deal with people. A damaged personal outlook is a result of uncontrolled negative thinking. This impacts many other aspects of a person’s life. How would you realize that you are already starting to have negative viewpoints? There are obvious manifestations of it.
Inferiority and Lack of Charm
Inferiority complex is one effect of entertaining negative thoughts. It is a condition that makes you regard so little or so low of yourself compared to others. If you feel inferior towards other people, you only see yourself as a follower, a no-brainer, and an incompetent individual. Here are a few sample negative statements of people with inferiority issues:
- I am a worthless and futile person.
- I will never be able to…
- I am of no contribution to…
- I am born a loser and a failure.
- I possess no talent or abilities.
- I have no self-esteem.
Lack of charm, just like inferiority, is also the way you perceive yourself as someone who simply cannot create a good impression to others. If you feel that you lack personal charm, you might catch yourself saying negative statements like:
- I am a complete boredom.
- I am a plain and dull person.
- I never create a good, lasting impression to others.
- I have poor conversational skills.
- I do not possess any sense of humor.
- I have never said anything right or sensible.
Pessimism is a state of mind that makes the person view the world in a totally negative manner because of the negative thoughts that are directing one’s perceptions. A pessimist barely sees the bright side of a situation and would always focus on the worst that can happen. The common lines of pessimists are:
- Life was never fair and square.
- Living is a never-ending battle and torture.
- Life is meaningless and futile.
- There is nothing to look forward to in the future.
- There is no way I can achieve my dreams and goals in life.
Trapped in the Past Experiences
The past traumatic events in some people’s lives can be a reason for them to become negative thinkers. You become chained to your past, and the evidence would show in your harsh choice of words, negative responses, and reactions to people and situations, as well as negative self-talk. So, here are a few examples of those lines:
- I am a worrier because I used to wallow in distress.
- I have never been the type of person who could…
- My family never taught me how to eliminate the bad habit of…
- I do not have the willpower and determination to change.
- The way people think of me and see me will never change.
- I have always been like this, so I don’t think I still have a chance to change.
- I will never prove something out of myself.
- I am this way because of the way my folks brought me up.
- I get physically punished when I was a kid, which is why I have very low self-esteem.
All these abovementioned examples of negative self-talk are never helpful in creating a positive outlook in life. Unless you make an effort to change for the better and prove that you can become a positive person, it will be difficult to eradicate the inculcated habit of negative thinking that affects your personal outlook.