Five out the six neurological levels of the Neuro-linguistic Programming model can be translated in terms of an organization. As per Neuro-linguistic courses, these translations are:
• Identity : Vision and mission
• Belief : Culture and philosophy
• Capability : Knowledge and skills
• Behavior : Practice and customs
• Environment : Surroundings, equipment and location
Some organizations also have the sixth spiritual level, which is the highest level. This is especially true when the organization seeks a bigger cause than itself, such as for charity, health or environmental concern. Non-profit organizations are based on the spiritual level.
The neurological levels are used by organizations to motivate and inspire their staff, and bring about positive changes in the organization. As per Neuro-linguistic training, the neurological level usage is:
1) Vision and mission: The mission and vision states the organization’s ultimate goal. The organization work force operates on this goal, by identifying with it and gaining inspiration from the goal. According to Neuro-linguistic courses, it gives the employees a mutual sense of purpose and direction. The employees feel a sense of pride for being a part of this company and its unique personality and purpose.
2) Culture and philosophy: The culture and philosophy of a company is derived from the organization’s belief system. As per Neuro-linguistic training, when an organization respects a set of values, the employees feel a sense of respect as well. The company sets a culture or a way of doing things. It applies its philosophy while recruiting staff or dealing with customers. Organizations create company policies for rewards, training, salaries etc. that adhere to their beliefs.
3) Knowledge and skills: As per Neuro-linguistic training, this reflects the capability of the organization. The management specifies the knowledge and skills required for the job, and the work force meet these demands since they understand the task at hand. The management takes care of essential training required for updating the skills. The staff in turn participates and contributes their time for getting acquainted with new technology for efficient operation. The staff also gets to contribute towards decision making and take on higher level responsibilities.
4) Practice and customs: As per Neuro-linguistic courses, this translates to behavior of the organization. The organization rewards individual excellence and rebukes undesirable behavior. The staff adheres to the acceptable guidelines of the company such as intellectual property protection, copyright protection, honesty, integrity etc.
5) Surroundings, equipment and location: As per Neuro-linguistic training, this translated to the environment of the organization. The organization provides facilities to its employees such as good working conditions, cafeteria, coffee machines, smoking area, crèche, sports facilities, tended gardens, library and hi-tech equipment. The organization provides an environment that is conducive for productive work and happier employees.
Every level needs to be in congruence with the level above it, in order to bring about huge changes that last for longer time.
When the different levels of an organization are not in congruence with each other, failure is imminent. In this case, it is best to ask these set of questions for finding out at which level the problem exists:
1) Spirituality or purpose: Who else?
2) Identity or mission: Who?
3) Belief systems or values: Why?
4) Capabilities: How?
5) Behavior: What?
6) Environment: Where?
The neurological level model can be used to identify problems at personal or organizational level and elucidate them. The level at which the problem exists and needs to changed can then be found. You can better understand yourself, your goals and self motivation. Using these levels, you can understand other people better, create stronger rapport and relationships. Using the levels, you can establish a sense of meaning and purpose in your life and get a broader perspective on your actions.
The neurological levels can be used by organizations to bring about positive changes and achieving significant goals. Some organizations seem to live in a lie, by stating a certain mission or belief, although their actions speak otherwise. Such organizations are bound to fail, since their neurological levels are not in congruence with each other. These organizations become the playground for cynicism, hostility, fraud, frustration and resentment. On the other hand, organizations that have their neurological levels aligned with each other breed excellence. The organization and its entire staff share the same set of beliefs and values, and move together in the same direction.
Neuro Linguistic Programming