Ever noticed that people who have a strong English vocabulary receive more attention and respect from their peers, colleagues, subordinates and authority figures? This is because speaking with a strong vocabulary indicates that you take yourself seriously.
Language and the way we use words conveys intelligence and authority. A person who is a mathematical genius or an expert software developer may be highly respected for technical skills, but if the words that come out of mouth consist of a poor vocabulary, it will, unfortunately, communicate a lack of intelligence.
How do you improve your English vocabulary? One of the best ways to improve your speaking voice is through reading a great deal of material. A strong English vocabulary and communication skills go hand in hand. If you must prepare and deliver speeches or lectures in your chosen profession, it is important to brush up on your vocabulary to make a good impression and engage your audience. It is not necessary to speak in ostentatious language and use “50 cent” vocabulary words that will confuse the people you are speaking to, but having a strong command of the English language and using it in an artful manner is a skill that employers seek when looking for employees.
Tutorials based on English Vocabulary are made available in this section under Career Series. English Vocabulary articles help you change the way you utilize your existing vocabulary and offer valuable tips and tricks on improving and enhancing your English Vocabulary.
- How to make your Vocabulary Better One powerful method that you can use to make your vocabulary better is to build your own dictionary. While regular dictionaries can helpful their biggest disadvantage is their sheer size. There are too many words to learn and you are limited in terms of the time you have. It is better to build a dictionary of
- How reading can Improve your Career There is a direct correlation between how much your read and the strength of your English. People who rarely read are much more likely to have poor English skills while those who read a lot are more likely to have advanced English skills. Introduction Reading is one of the most important skills you can develop
- Avoid Common English Mistakes in Your Resume When it comes to getting a good job your resume is a factor that will play a pivotal role in your success or failure. While I ve talked about the importance of using proper English during the job interview you won t even get this far if your resume isn t high in quality. Introduction While the
- Importance of Proper English during Job Interview Your job interview is crucially important and it will determine whether or not you will get the job. Depending on the type of job you re going for it is very important for you to use proper English. In most cases jobs which offer higher salaries will have higher levels of competition and even if
- Why Speaking Proper English is Important for your Career A number of studies have consistently demonstrated that those who have an advanced knowledge of the English language are much more likely to advance their careers. In addition to this these studies have also demonstrated that a strong command of the English language will lead to higher paying
- Quickly Improve Your Vocabulary When most people think of improving vocabulary they will generally think of school children being taught the subject in English class. However improving the vocabulary shouldn t be limited to school children. Increasing Your Vocabulary Can be Accomplished at any Age No matter how old you are it is very unlikely
- English Language and Career Advancement If you are like many people there may have been times when you talked to someone who had poor English skills. While you might have been polite you were probably thinking that this person wasn t very intelligent. You may also have thought that this person was rude. While it is a well known fact that people
- How to Improve Your Vocabulary While You Read Reading is The Key Perhaps the best method you can use to improve your vocabulary is to read. When I say read I m not just talking about comic books mainstream magazines or celebrity tabloids. I m talking about reading materials that are actually challenging those which may be beyond your vocabulary
- English Mistakes That Can Kill Your Chances of Getting a Job Whether you re preparing for a job interview preparing to give a speech before a crowd or writing up a business presentation to submit to your superiors it is critically important for you to make sure everything is correct. When it comes to your career you can t avoid to make any mistakes.
- How To Use Proper English When You are Giving a Speech For many of us giving a speech is one of the most daunting tasks we could ever engage in. You have to stand up in front of a group of people and you must speak to them about various concepts or ideas. You may be nervous and if the people don t understand what you re trying to say the experience
- International English International English is a phenomenon that deals with the English language being spoken on a global scale. International English will come in a wide variety of dialects and it is moving in the direction of a standard that must be used in countries around the globe. Because of cultural differences in various countries whether
- Strategies You Can Use to Enhance Your Vocabulary To improve your vocabulary you must have a game plan. The best way to get this game plan is to develop strategies that can lead you to success. Reading is the foundation that will allow you to increase your skills. When you seek out information on your own by reading you are referred to as being
- Why Having a Strong Vocabulary is So Important In addition to your appearance and the way you carry yourself people will judge you based on the words that come out of your mouth. Even if you are a mathematical genius having a poor vocabulary will send across a message that you re not very intelligent. Having a Poor Vocabulary Can Close Doors While
- Literature Can Enhance Your Vocabulary You can often tell a lot about a person based on the things they read. If someone reads a lot of comics it is safe to assume they enjoy comics stories. If someone reads a lot of science fiction books you can also assume that this person enjoys science fiction. You Are What You Read Just as you can learn
- Importance of Vocabulary from an Early Age Why Vocabulary is an Important Part of Literacy It can be said that vocabulary is comprised of three things and these are writing reading and speaking. All three of these elements are used to make up a larger structure that is called literacy. While literacy has been important ever since humans first discovered
- Various Methods for Teaching Vocabulary Just as with any skill those who wish to enhance their vocabulary will need to learn how to read speak and write properly. Generally when it comes to teaching vocabulary you will typically be presented with two options and these are spelling or phonics. The method that you should use is dependent on your
- Importance of English in International Business While English is not the most widely spoken language in the world when you look at it in terms of the number of native speakers it is the world s most prominent language. While a larger number of people speak Chinese that language is largely confined to China. English on the other hand is spoken
- Increase your Job Outlook on Global Scale The advent of both globalization and outsourcing are factors that are changing the world. These elements have allowed the world to become much more interconnected and the differences between cultures which existed in the past have largely been reduced. While many people feel that these elements are threatening
- Enhancing Your Vocabulary In this English Vocabulary article you will learn how to enhance your vocabulary how reading is a crucial part of enhancing your vocabulary knowing when to use the right vocabulary questions that you must ask yourself before you use various words and tips for vocabulary mastery. Knowing When To Use The Right Vocabulary As
- Why Improving Your Vocabulary Can Enhance Your Life There are a number of reasons why you will want to improve your vocabulary. You will feel good about yourself because you will have a larger command of your language. It has also been shown that improving your vocabulary can greatly increase your IQ. In addition to this there are many practical