The Internet has paved the way for various opportunities and breakthroughs. Through it, we are now enjoying the benefits of fast communication, online shopping, online bill payments, easy access to information, and even the chance to work at home.
Additionally, with the Internet, getting things done in the office has never been easier. We can simply do video-conferencing to hold meetings with colleagues, superiors, and clients who are located elsewhere; we can send emails to people who are in other parts of the globe, taking only seconds for them to reach their inbox, instead of waiting days for it to arrive via snail mail; and we can simply send instant messages (IM) to anybody if we have questions and concerns instead of having to call them over the phone.
It is also noteworthy to mention that among the many innovations that make our work more convenient today is the creation of online tools that help us get things done in the workplace.
Various Online Task Management Tools
There are many online task management programs available. While we cannot dictate which one you should use, because this would depend largely on your needs and preference, we can give you a list of the most popular tools being used today.
• Google To-Do List. You can access this through iGoogle, where you will find numerous categories to choose from. However, when it comes to those that help you manage your tasks, you can simply use the to-do list feature and the sticky note option. This is a very simplified task management tool that will help boost your productivity.
• Remember the Milk. Now you have probably heard about this online tool already. It is quite popular among busy people because it contains a lot of features. Through it, you can create tasks and organize them quickly because of the keyboard shortcut option. This tool also has the capability to send out email reminders and notifications, and syncs with the iPhone, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry.
• The Online CEO. This online task management tool is quite unique because it lets you assign points to a given task. The point system helps you measure the level of importance of the task, and it also helps measure your productivity. There is even an option to set up a timer to find out how much time you spend on a particular task.
• Toodledo. This online program allows you to sort through your tasks and prioritize them accordingly. It can send email and SMS reminders, and you can even set it up in such a way that your to-do list can be accessed through your email, phone, instant messaging, or even integrate it into your browser.
Advantages of Using Online Tools
The main advantage of using online tools is that they contribute significantly to making task management more convenient for you. Through these, you will not have to do everything manually. Since some are equipped with automated features, you will not have to spend time drafting reminder messages or finalizing schedules.
When you make use of online tools, you can focus more on giving feedback to your people because administrative work is already being taken cared of. In more ways than one, these online tools can help you become an effective manager and leader because you have an “assistant” available.
With these online tools, you are afforded convenience and you can do your job more efficiently. However, there are also things you need to always keep in mind, such as:
1. Do not become too dependent on online tools. When this happens, you will not be able to function and perform on your own. This can be bad especially if by some misfortune your online program malfunctions and you are left to get things done without it. If you have become completely dependent on it, you will not be able to finish your tasks. It is recommended that you always have a backup or a plan B in case things go wrong.
2. Do not get the impression that your online tools can replace you. This is especially true if you are managing a team, or working with a team. While online tools can send emails, notifications, and updates, always take time to check your people personally for any issues and concerns. You should also be “present” to motivate and push everyone to work on their tasks.