The term ‘MainFrame’ brings to mind a giant room of electronic parts that is a computer, referring to the original CPU cabinet in a computer of the mid-1960’s. Today, Mainframe refers to a class of ultra-reliable large and medium-scale servers designed for carrier-class and enterprise-class systems operations. Mainframes are costly, due to the support of symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) and dozens of central processors existing within in a single system. Mainframes are highly scalable. Through the addition of clusters, high-speed caches and volumes of memory, they connect to terabyte holding data subsystems.
The first mainframe vendors were GE, Control Data, IBM, NCR, RCA, Burroughs, Honeywell and Univac. Collectively known as “IBM and the Seven Dwarfs”. Through mergers, these vendors shifted within the industry, becoming “IBM and the BUNCH”. Running a version of Unix or Linux, these vendors led by IBM now include Amdahl (Fujitsu), Unisys and Sun among others.
Online training includes the History of Mainframes, Job Control Language (JCL) and thorough tutorials on the components, transactions and functions of the Customer Information Control System (CICS). Mainframe professionals can find well-paid work in highly respected and breakthrough technology companies throughout the world as Mainframe Systems Programmers and Project Managers.
- JES Job Entry Subsystem In this MainFrame tutorial you will learn about JES Job Entry Subsystem Job Scheduler types of JES HASP ASP Job management of MVS General Phases in a Job viz Input Conversion Processing Output Print and Purge. Job Entry Subsystems Job Scheduler JES is an MVS component which keeps track of jobs that enter
- VSAM Control Interval and Control Area In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about VSAM Control Interval What is a Control Interval in VSAM and Control Area what is VSAM control area attributes in the control area index component. What is a Control Interval in VSAM Control Interval in VSAM is a unit of data that is transferred when an
- VSAM Structure In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about VSAM Structure four major areas of VSAM structure what is VSAM cluster VSAM components Defining VSAM cluster and Example for defining VSAM clusters. There are four major areas in the structure of VSAM. They are The Master catalog The User catalog The Data
- VSAM Catalogs In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about VSAM Catalogs Master Catalog User Catalog and Data Space of VSAM. Master Catalog Master Catalog in VSAM is like captain of a ship since all files used in VSAM is controlled by this master catalog. The attributes of files like password authorization for files monitoring of operation
- VSAM Introduction In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about VSAM what is VSAM VSAM structure types of VSAM datasets Entry Sequenced Data Set ESDS Key Sequenced Data Set KSDS Linear Data Set LDS and Relative Record Data Set RRDS . What is VSAM VSAM stands for Virtual Storage Access Method. The VSAM is a method used for managing
- Mainframe Features In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about features of Mainframe - Processing power memory capacity performance computing multiple operating system time sharing reliability serviceability availability clustering technology and other features available in Mainframe. Large Number of CPU with Greatest Processing Power The
- Mainframe Introduction In this Mainframe tutorial you will learn about mainframes and its concepts and some of the early mainframes describing the evolution and history of mainframes in detail. History and Evolution of Mainframes Mainframe Channel Direct Access Storage Device - DASD and Logical Partition - LPAR. What is Mainframe As we all know
- CICS Components and Transactions There are three major components associated with CICS namely Management Modules Control Tables and Control Blocks. These three are very essential in CICS environment and so let us see an overview of the function of each. We have seen that CICS act as an interface between operating system and application program
- Introduction to JCL This article provides a basic coverage on concepts of MVS JCL .The topics covered in this article are - Introduction to Job Control language Basic concepts of JCL Job Job steps Concepts of Job Statements and Positional Keyword parameters. JES2 JES3 It is a Batch operating environment. In batch mode we submit
- CICS Overview and Functions CICS is called as Customer Information Control System. The main functionality of CICS is it acts as an interface between the Operating System and application programs. Functions of CICS Acts as interface between operating system and application programs. Does the function of data communication and therefore
- Customer Information Control System CICS In this tutorial you will learn about Customer Information Control System CICS - CICS - An overview Functions of CICS Task Transaction and CICS Components. CICS - An overview CICS is called as Customer Information Control System. The main functionality of CICS is it acts as an interface between the