Problem solving is a natural part of life. In any business or industry, the ability of an employee to solve problems can mean the difference between success and failure. Lacking the ability to solve problems effectively can be a source of anxiety and stress for any individual. Problem solving is not an exact science, although there are guidelines that a person can follow to become a successful problem-solver.
Flexibility and open-mindedness is an essential part of being able to solve problems, whether it is in your personal life or on-the-job. Possessing advantageous problem solving skills requires a person to understand the problem, create a plan to solve the problem, seeing the plan through and reviewing the plan to ensure that the problem is solved and is not repeated. When a person has difficulty imagining a solution to a problem, it is because he is overwhelmed with the details of the problem and lacks the ability to break down the problem or see the big picture.
The problem solving articles in this section will help you alleviate and solve some of the more common issues related to solving problems. Information on brainstorming, critical thinking, innovation, lateral thinking, strategies and creativity are all useful techniques that can assist an individual to become better at solving problems.
- Creative Problem Solving Creative problem solving is a method used in situations where knowledge and thinking are not enough. Using creativity to solve a problem can be extremely challenging and will take large amounts of effort on the part of those who are trying to solve the problem. Often solutions to the problem will become apparent when the
- How Brainstorming Can Help You Solve Problems Brainstorming is one of the most creative ways of solving problems. However brainstorming may not always be used to solve a single problem. It is sometimes used to come up with a list of possible solutions that can be used to solve a problem. The concept of brainstorming is one of the newest problem
- How Critical Thinking Can Help You Solve Problems Critical thinking is a process in which a person will use their mind to analyze or study information. The information that is studied will typically be offered as something that is absolute. However the person that is studying will reason on it in order to determine if they are in agreement with it.
- How Lateral Thinking Can Be Used To Solve Problems Lateral thinking is a problem solving technique that was developed by Edward de Bono. It can be defined as methods which are used to alter the perception of a problem. Lateral thinking is a technique that requires large amounts of reasoning. It is a good technique to use in situations where pure
- The Connection Between Innovation and Problem Solving Innovation can be defined as the ability to create something new based on knowledge that has been attained. In order for something to be new it must be radically different from things which are already in existence. The nature of innovation is important when it comes to problem solving. Often
- The Importance of Reductionism In The Problem Solving Process Reductionism is a type of philosophy that can be applied to the problem solving process. It basically states that complex objects can be simplified in a way that makes them easier to understand. Reductionism can be use for virtually anything but it is commonly used to refer to biology
- The Use of Trial and Error To Solve Problems Some complex problems can be solved by a technique that is called trial and error. Trial and error is typically good for problems where you have multiple chances to get the correct solution. However this is not a good technique for problems that don t give you multiple chances to find a solution. An example
- Wicked Problems Many problems in math or puzzles can be solved with a number of different methods such as trial and error brainstorming and reductionism. Many of these problems could be called static or well defined. However what happens when you run into a problem that is incomplete or has requirements that continue to change This is a problem
- How Problem Solving Can Help You In Math Math is a subject which is hated by many people. This is unfortunate because mathematics lays down the foundation for all of the technology we have today. Computers cell phones cars and space shuttles would not exist if it were not for mathematics. The reason why many people fail at math is because they
- How Role Playing Can Help You Solve Problems The use of role playing to solve problems is composed of multiple methods. Many of these methods involve using your mind in order create a different reality. These techniques will allow you to place an emphasis on what you desire rather than what you already have. To use role playing techniques successfully
- How To Effectively Solve Problems When you are faced with a difficult problem you may need the help of someone else. In some situations the problem may require you to create a plan which can help you solve it. If you are in a situation like this there are a number of things you can do to effectively solve the problem. If you know someone who
- Problem Solving Strategies The ability to be flexible is one of the most important aspects of problem solving. All of us have problems that differ from each other. However it is the strategies that a person uses to solve problems which will lead to either success or failure. There are a number of techniques you will want to employ when you run
- How To Properly Approach a Problem When many people attempt to solve a problem they make the mistake of placing an emphasis on either the problem or solution. To properly solve problems it is very important to make sure you take the right approach. The approach you use for a problem is often connected to the solution. The first thing you should be
- Problem Solving Techniques We are all faced with problems everyday. Learning how to effectively deal with them is what will mean the difference between success and failure. While there are no universally accepted methods that can be used to help you solve problems there are a number of useful techniques which can make the problem solving
- Introduction To Problem Solving If you are like some people you would love to have the ability to easily solve problems. Problems are a fact of life. Everyone one has them and it doesn t matter whether you re rich or poor. All of us have problems that we must deal with on a daily basis. Our ability to properly handle these problems