As with many things, task management is governed by certain principles. These are the foundation by which we base our actions and decisions on. Because of their value, it is essential for every task manager to familiarize themselves of the principles that are part and parcel of every task they perform.
A very important point you need to remember is that principles are sets of rules that have been tested over time. By using these, you could save yourself from mistakes and frustrations which will only cause undue stress and waste your time.
A Brief Understanding of Task Management Principles
Principles are the standards that we look up to and follow. These are assumptions that are perceived to be true; the rationale behind why things are the way they are. In task management, we also have principles that have been created by skilled individuals and groups who were ahead of us, having tried several methods, processes, and systems. Their experience has helped form these principles, and today, we are enjoying the fruits of their hard work. Make use of these principles; remember that they are there for good reason.
Task Management Principles
Here are some of the principles that task managers like you are utilizing today. Consistency in the use of these could mean the difference between success and failure in doing and completing a given task.
• Plan – A sensible plan gets things done. Many executives have set too high expectations on themselves and their team that they end up frustrated and lost. You need to create a plan- a reasonable one. Include the costs, schedule, techniques and processes needed, as well as the scope included in the task.
• Control – You cannot control what you cannot quantify. To test a product, you need to have controls in which you base your test results from. Data should be quantifiable because you can never accurately track progress unless you have them in numbers.
• Proactive – Being proactive is vital. Changes and challenges will come your way; you need to be able to think outside the box and come up with resolutions quickly.
• Monitor – Monitor your people to ensure success. Constant feedback sessions with your team members are essential to ensure that everyone is aligned and is working towards the same path. If every member is kept updated with what is going on, it is easier to fix issues and be progressive with the task.
• Teamwork – Promote teamwork and give accountability to those involved- it makes things easier. Create an environment that encourages teamwork and camaraderie. Assign members their roles and set clear objectives with each one. If you need to coordinate with other departments or people to get the job done then you need to communicate with them, and everyone is given the tools and resources they need to perform their duties.
• Pay Attention – You could learn a lot from it. You should be keen on what is going on around you; be sensitive to issues, big and small so that these can be addressed before they go out of hand. You should also take initiative and have foresight to prepare for the unexpected because surely these are bound to occur.
• Document Everything – It does not exist if there is no documentation. Plans, designs, procedures, processes, and solutions should be clearly documented, along with decisions and agreements made. All these might be needed later on, and if you do not document it, then it would just be a waste of resources because you would have to redo the whole thing again.
Why Task Management Principles
Among the reasons why we use the task management principles are:
1. These principles serve as guide to task managers in knowing which direction to take to maintain practicality and effectiveness. Decisions and actions are based on these because we trust that they work to our advantage.
2. These principles help us understand how to manage the task given, along with the people who will help us accomplish it.
3. These principles reduce incidence of failure because as mentioned earlier, these principles have been tried and tested by many, and are popular because of the positive results attained when utilized.